Lincoln and Jenny - Missionary Associates to South Africa

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Rockin' Cowboys

This is just a cute picture of Kyler mowing the lawn. It has nothing to do with what I am writing about. I've had some interesting interactions with some South African's recently. Last week when I was at the "tool hire store", which is a rental store, the white Afrikaner guy helping me noticed that I was different. He said, "You're American?" I said "yes." He said, "You ride the big bulls, heh?" ("heh" is something that they say like Canadians and Wisconsonites say, "eh". I thought that it was funny that he thought that all Americans were cowboys. Then a few days later I was in the hardware store setting up a delivery of some plumbing pipes. The black South African helping me noticed that I was American and he told me that he wanted to come to America some day. He told me,"I hear that in America you rock all day long." I told him, "No, not everyone rocks all day long." A lady that worked there came by and asked what we were talking about. I told her that he wanted to visit America some day. She slapped him on the head and said, "You negro. You go to America, you'll be a negro." I thought that is was interesting that she saw America as a more racist country than South Africa. I've been reading about the history of South Africa. As recently as 1994 there were 2,476 political murders (primarily whites killing blacks.) It is interesting to see how the rest of the world sees America. On a different topic, we went out to dinner for Jenny's birthday. The steaks are listed as lady sized and man sized. Man, that's a lot of pressure on a guy to buy the bigger steak. Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this picture. he looks so much like his daddy.

7:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home