Lincoln and Jenny - Missionary Associates to South Africa

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Jenny's Birthday

For those of you that have asked, yes, we were invited back to the home where I broke the glass last week. In fact, they (Adrian and Vanessa) invited pretty much everyone we know here, over to their house for my birthday on Sunday. Vanessa decorated her house in red, white and blue and had every one bring "American" food so that we would feel at home. We had quite a feast - turkey, meat loaf (better than any meat loaf I have ever had in the US), corn on the cob, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, rice and salad. And of course, rooibos tea and instant coffee! Vanessa really went out of her way to make feel at home on my birthday. For dessert, instead of cake everyone got a mini cupcake with a candle in it. Vanessa said that instead of only me making a wish, everyone else would also make a wish for me and then blow out their candles. I really loved this, and I think that I will adopt this tradition into our family from now on. I got some great gifts as well. There is a Christian bookstore at the mall, and one family gave me a gift certificate to there (I haven't spent it yet, because I am still too afraid to drive there!) We only brought 9 suitcases with our personal belongings to South Africa with us (the other 4 bags we brought contained Lincoln's tools and the kids homeschooling books and materials), so I did not bring anything that wasn't essential, mostly just clothes, books and toys! So David and Janis gave me some items for our home that are just mine! (We are staying in a home that belongs to another family, and they left everything as is for us to use. So, we are using their plates, towels, beds, sheets, everything! They have also left up all of their pictures, at first it was very strange to be looking everyday at the pictures and memories of a family we have never even met! I have their wedding picture on my nightstand, and every night before bed I tell them "goodnight". I guess we could just move the pictures, but now we are used to them.) So, Janis gave me a very cool candle and holder and a set of knives. These gifts were very meaningful to me since I really don't have anything here yet! (We now also have a water filtering pitcher and umbrella that are our very own.)
I got to talk to my parents that day, and the day before Jen U. called from the church with Lori B. and Katie L. to wish me a happy birthday. It was 11:30 pm their time, 8:30 am our time. I also talked to Lincoln's parents on Saturday. It was so great to be able to talk to my friends and family, it made me feel a little closer to home on my first birthday away.
Last night (Monday night), our next door neighbors (another MA couple from California that have been here for a year) took us out for pizza at a great Italian restaurant for my birthday. They have a little girl who is Madison's age. They know exactly where we are right now, and have traveled much of the same road to get here. We had a lot of fun with them.
So, I had a great birthday with our new friends here!
 Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen,
I was wondering how your Bday away was. I thought about you. I'm glad you had a good time nad glad to hear you got invited back to the families house. I like their tradition of everyone making a wish for you on your bday. I will have to do that too.
Love Pam,

2:40 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home