Lincoln and Jenny - Missionary Associates to South Africa

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Mountains of Dust


We've started work on the plumbing and electrical this week. As a commercial electrician, I've always thought that working with wood in a residence was dirty work because you tend to get sawdust everywhere. Well, sawdust is nothing compared to the dust that is made from working with bricks. Everything here is brick. (They can't use wood because of termites.) So, the way the build is they build the structure out of brick first, then they come in with a grinder like I am holding in the picture and they cut notches in the walls and floor for the plumbing and electrical. That dust gets everywhere. I have it in my ears, nose, eyes, pockets, socks, between my toes. There is a layer of dust anywhere within 200 feet of the flats that we are working on. In the bathrooms, even with a fan running and a bright light shining on the area that I am working on, the dust gets so thick that after 20 seconds of grinding I can't even see the surface that I am working on. I'll take working with wood any day. (And yes, for my Dad's and Darrell Ruby's information, I am wearing a respirator, safety goggles, gloves, and ear plugs. Even though, they aren't in the picture here.) Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Lincoln. I find this kind of stuff so interesting. It is neat to see you doing what you do. And that is, everything you can.

8:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you are taking care of yourself. I would tell you to use some water to keep the dust down, but your comments on electrical wiring practices make me think that would be a bad idea. Your only other choice seems to be a hammer and chisel.

2:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home