Lincoln and Jenny - Missionary Associates to South Africa

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Power Outage

This is Lincoln writing. Here's some cute pictures of the kids. Madison and Kyler love to spend time with Kendi. Kyler tends to be a little spastic and gets Kendi all wound up, so we have to limit his time with her. Madison loves to help out in any way that she can.
A completely unrelated story that is a little funny, but not so funny when you have to experience it. Two nights ago at 1:30 in the morning the dogs start barking like crazy and the power goes out. I go out to check the breaker, because it is not uncommon to have our breaker trip for the property. Everything is fine so I know that the problem is with the power company. The next morning we call the power company and it turns out that the power is out because someone stole the power cables. Yep, ripped them right off the power pole. I've heard of that happening in South Africa, but this was our first time to experience it. So, we had to go get ice to put in our freezer to keep all the food cold. Jenny, in her usual organized fashion, had prepared something like 40 meals before Kendi was born and they were in the freezer. If it all melted we would lose hundreds of dollars in meals. The poor shelter caregivers were trying their best to prepare meals and bottles for 30 children without any electricity. The cook had several loafs of frozen bread sitting out on the bricks in the sun trying to thaw them out. We had to take the shelter laundry to Janis' house and another missionaries house to do laundry. With 30 kids you can't just skip a day of laundry and expect to catch up the next day. On top of that it was probably about 95 degrees yesterday and we had no a/c. I'm not complaining, it's just an interesting story about life in South Africa. So, the power company told us that they would have it fixed by the end of the day, which is typically 3:30. (My reply was a sarcastic yeah, right.) So, at 3:30 when it wasn't on we called and they said that it would be on by 5. At 5, still no power. So Janis started scrambling to find a generator so that the shelter could have power for the night. Our family had gone out to eat, because having meals in the freezer doesn't do you any good without electricity. When we got back, at 7:00 the power was back on. What a relief. I've got to say that I am impressed that the power company actually fixed the problem in one day.

Another cute unrelated story: In January I shaved my head bald. I wrote about that below if you want to go read about it. Every time I went to the shelter all the kids wanted to touch my head. One would come up and reach their hand up to touch my head an they would all come running. The cute thing is that they all say, "Also me, also me." So, now that my hair is growing back they still want to touch my head. Everytime I go into the shelter they all come running, "Also me, also me." Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time wait till morning to go out, that seems like a good way to get someone to come out of their locked house. I love you all, and as always full of advise.

7:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home