Lincoln and Jenny - Missionary Associates to South Africa

Monday, August 14, 2006

Stinky Pete


I had an interesting conversation with Noel, the South African youth pastor that I go to freedom park with. We were talking about stereotypes. He said how when he visits other countries people expect that as a white South African that he is a racist. I said how I used to have a stereotype of what people from Canada were like. When I visited Canada I was disappointed to find out that they didn't all say "take off eh" at least every two minutes. I was honestly surprised that they acted and talked just like Americans. He said that he had a stereotype of what people from Colorado are like. When I asked him to expand he said that his stereotype of us is the character "Stinky Pete" from Toy Story 2. In his mind we all wear wide brimmed hats, with the front bent up, wear over-alls, and carry prospectors picks. (Obviously he knows that isn't true, but that is what comes to mind.) I thought that was hilarious. Nate was with us, so he asked what Noels stereotype of people from Oklahoma is. Noel said, "they all sing and dance on a stage." Stereotypes can be a funny thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home