Lincoln and Jenny - Missionary Associates to South Africa

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Merton

June 22, 2006
This is Lincoln. I’ve been reading a book by Thomas Merton called No Man is an Island. My good friend from Denver, Gareth, has been reading it with me stateside and we email comments about it. There was a recent quote that I thought was worthy of comment on the blog.

“In order to be what we are meant to be, we must know Christ, and love Him, and do what He did. Our destiny is in our own hands since God has placed it there, and given us His grace to do the impossible. It remains for us to take up courageously and without hesitation the work he has given us, which is the task of living our own life as Christ would live it in us.”

I love this because it is so packed full of solid thinking on how to live. I can’t add much commentary that would bring anything extra. In Merton’s typical style, his few words hold enormous meaning. I just want to point out that what this means to me is that God has called me to live as Christ would live without hesitation. God doesn’t force me to do this. He leaves me with the responsibility (and privilege) and he equally leaves me the grace to accomplish the task. (And the grace for when I fail as well.) To know Christ, love him, and live like him is to fulfill my destiny and purpose in life. (As a side note I’d like to point out that this has nothing to do with occupation. I could fulfill this destiny as an electrician, missionary, ditch digger, or janitor.)
God is good.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are doing a better job of keeping up with this than I am...I've been reading more of Dietrich Boenhoffer's, "Cost of Discipleship". Merton and B. do relate alot to the "grace" and our responsiblity on this earth.

6:13 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home